Life in Order: Living in Japan

by - September 30, 2019

Everything is on time.

I should not shock for this fact since I live in Japan right now. Japan is well known for its strict to  time. Discipline comes first when talking about attitude in relation to Japanese. That is why, it is not a surprised condition to see how on time everything in my eyes during my life here.

I can find how on time my Japanese friend to meet me in each our appointment.
How on time train arrives the station and leave every passenger, including me, when we got late a second to get on the train after the scheduled time table.

However, instead of found all of those facts, I can find how living in Japan bring me to see life in order. I can see the regularity of life here. I really see how this life looks like arranged properly.

It is real.

You can see everything the same as you saw yesterday if you do it again in the same minute

Minute? Yes.

You can even meet the same condition and same person in the same minute everyday. I believe they do their daily activity regularly, so I can meet with them easily if I make my daily activity regularly like them.

How can I know this fact?

Let me share my background story.

Every morning 2-3 times in a week, I do part time job in an international school in Kiyose-shi.  A distance from my nearest station to the destination takes around 45 minutes by train. I should arrive in school at 8.50, so I should plan my trip to arrive there before the designated time. In my case, I should leave home at least 7.47 (cause it needs 8 minutes approximately from my home to station) and reach the train which leaves at 7.57 from my nearest station.

I should leave home on time to avoid waiting train for so long, and also not in hurry to catch the train I used to get on. Moreover, I  always sit in the same cars on train. The first of eight cars on the train. I always choose the same cars since it is the nearest cars near with gate in my station and near with the stairs to transfer train in Tokorozawa station.

It’s quite hard to be able reach our destination on time in Japan if we do not plan each our trip carefully. Since I have same activity and time every weekday, so I only plan it once in the first time I worked there and I just did it repeatedly for commuting to work. Two to three times in a week, I did the same thing. It makes me never come late to work.

Then?


Indirectly, I have told you that I live in regularity. No one teaches me to do that, but the willingness for not coming late to work is the reason I do that. So every time I do my regularity, uncoincidentally, I met with same person there.


Of course, I can make a conclusion how Japanese normally have regular daily activities. Really really do the same thing everyday in the same minute.

How Can I really Know This Fact?

I know because what I did for around 10 months make me meet same people and some condition every time I go for work. I can realize those things since my part time job place is not in the central of Tokyo.

I live near the central Tokyo, so I never meet rush hours since I go to opposite destination unlike common salary-man out of there. Mostly people that I remember are the one who has special characteristic so I can remember them easily and clearly. I do not know maybe there are other same people who has same robot schedule like me, but of course I will never try to remember people that I met in train every day hahaha

1. I always meet a middle-aged man in car parking near my house, just get into his luxurious Lexus car. His appearance looks like a rich salary-man. He always heat his car engine every time I pass that car parking lot.

2. I always meet such a 'different' boy in my nearest station getting on the same train and cars like me, listen to music loudly, and make his body join the tempo of the song. He looks like boy with special needs.

3. I always meet with a cute boy who board in the same cars with me, always get on the train from Iogi station to station more than Tokorozawa station (I do not know because I should transfer train in Tokorozawa). He gets to use bluetooth earphone, and always take the corner seat, same like me. Sometimes he sits in front of me so I can really remember his face.

4. In Hana Koganei station, I always meet such a special needs boy who just get on the train. He never sits even there are so many empty chairs. He just stand and walk back forth in a cars and speak by himself loudly. Quite disturbing, but as a character of Japanese, I do not give comment to people like him.

5. In many chances, I meet with the other special needs middle-aged man who always get on train from Tokorozawa station, and get off in the same destination station like me (Kiyose Station). He always screams every time he gets on and get off train, quite scary.

*Btw, most of person I remember is special needed person since they look different to other people, so I always aware their existence

And there are many more conditions that same thing I found, especially when talking about the train system. How the train driver always change every time the train arrives in Kami-Shakujii station, I always meet with the special commuter express which uses special rugby-theme train every time I arrive in some station. And blah blah blah...

From the experience I had, I can make conclusion how Japanese culture about on time can bring people to life in order. Especially for those who works in traditional Japanese company, government institution, and education institution. I do not talk about my company's husband and other modern company which apply flexible time to go work.

No one teaches us, but we automatically aware to do life in order. Most of the Japanese who meets my criteria will have same mindset like I have been doing so far. Plan when will leave home, get on the train, and which cars of the train to get on. Of course I will not uncoincidentally meet those people almost everyday if they do not do same thing like me. Forget it.

Join to Life in Order,

Sintia


P.s. I wrote this article before I resign from my job. The time I upload this in the same day I took my resignation makes me cry a lot. I will really miss all of those same person I met. So far since I commute to central Tokyo in quite rush hour, I never and cannot aware who is the person get on the same train like me. However, I still do same thing, will catch the train at 10.01 to arrive at class before 10.45.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram